Sunday, May 15, 2011

ASUS/The iKey Lives! (Short Take)

IBM AT KeyboardImage via Wikipedia
A friend of mine just sent me a link to the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101. It has most of what I envisioned the iKey to be. 10.1 inch display, detachable keyboard, etc. I want one. Though  based on the promotional video I'm a bit old to be the primary demographic being targeted by this thing.

The Eee Pad has one significant feature I hadn't thought of. The keyboard has additional battery capacity so it can run 40% longer while plugged in. It doesn't look like the keyboard can be used without plugging in but that isn't a big deal. It's the ability to detach the keyboard that is of primary importance.

I'm seeing conflicting information on pricing but the tablet and keyboard are sold separately and appear to go for ~ $650 total if you can find them in stock.

It does look a bit thicker than I'd like with the keyboard and it doesn't have 3G capabilities so you're going to be limited to wireless for now and based on the reviews there are some flaws but it's an intriguing and very cool product in my opinion.

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer (Tablet Only)
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Keyboard/Docking Station

ASUS is doing the right thing here. They've made the keyboard available but optional and are pricing the combination to be very competitive with Apples offerings. This product won't beat Apple by itself but I think it's going to help ASUS compete effectively against the iPad.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment