Sunday, June 5, 2011

NVidia/Microsoft/Update (Short Take)

Main meeting room of the European Commission i...
So it turns out that the Microsoft/NVidia deal that I posted on yesterday has been in place for more than a decade. Clearly I need to read more SEC filings.

I will say that a closer partnership between these two companies still makes sense to me. Microsoft has been doing some interesting things lately but they are still way behind Apple and in danger of becoming increasingly irrelevant. They have the cash to acquire NVidia if they want to and they likely need to make some radical moves to transform the company and return it to growth.

Note, I'm not claiming this would be the best use of their cash but looking in from the outside it makes more sense to me than Microsoft's recent acquisition of Skype.

Concerns about the European Commission nixing such a deal seem overstated to me. Apple is rapidly becoming the company most people would be most concerned about from a monopoly perspective if they looked at the issue objectively. Combining Microsoft and NVidia would at least create a competitor that could potentially give Apple a run for their money. Add in the potential for an Intel/Google/Android alliance and you would have a reasonably rich competitive landscape.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment